Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Viewers Taking it a Little Too Far

Viewers everywhere have fallen in love with James Cameron's new film, Avatar (2009) and to be honest, I don't blame them. Rarely does a film live up to its expectations after you've heard such hype about it. However, I will give Cameron a lot of credit, his movie is a truly a spectacle and a film you get completely involved in. I was captivated by the world of Pandora and the Na'vi characters.



However, Cameron's completely immersive spectacle may have been a little too real for some fans who say they have experienced depression and suicidal thoughts after seeing the film because they long to enjoy the beauty of the alien world Pandora.

A user named Mike wrote on the film's fan website Na'viblue that he contemplated suicide after seeing the movie.

"Ever since I went to see 'Avatar' I have been depressed. Watching the wonderful world of Pandora and all the Na'vi made me want to be one of them. I can't stop thinking about all the things that happened in the film and all of the tears and shivers I got from it," Mike posted. "I even contemplate suicide thinking that if I do it I will be rebirthed in a world similar to Pandora and the everything is the same as in 'Avatar.' "

This idea of fans taking a movie so seriously and to heart is nothing new. These days, the rule of fandom is anything worth doing, is worth overdoing, often to a terrifying degree. Just take a look at what's going on in 'Hometree', Wisconsin...

3 comments:

  1. this video is hilarious, but i think it's a joke...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I dont think its a joke,, I think they are serious which of course makes it even more funny

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh dear. That's all I can say. Ooooh dear. I saw Avatar, and aside from special effects that will be imitated for years to come, it's not that great. The story is predictable, and so nothing truly exciting ever happens. Cameron wants to show us the cool things he's developed on the computer, and never takes the movie any further than that. *shrug*

    ReplyDelete